Sunday, July 10, 2011

The Weeknd

Finally, it's the weekend! I've had no free time since the moment I stepped off the plane, but Natalie and I finally have the weekend to ourselves. I'm excited again and I'm excited to explore Japan.

I'm not gonna lie though, this past week was rough. I observed Spencer all week and starting Wednesday, I had my work load increased all the way through Saturday. On Saturday, I had to teach four classes. That's a lot! I thought that my classes went really well. Only one of them went sort of badly. I had to teach a mommy and me class. A mommy and me class is when the mom stays with the student in the classroom. My student is 2 years old, still in diapers, and hardly speaks Japanese. Little Eito (his name) cried almost the entire time. So, I then spent 40 minutes making a complete fool of myself. Nikola Teacher or Nikola Clown? I threw balls at myself and sang lullabies. I made up lyrics to Beatles songs and pulled every sound effect I know how to make out of my ass. It was fun. I think by the end of the class he liked me a little more. I'm sure it will be more of the same next week however.

After a hellish Saturday, my coworkers and I attended a welcome/goodbye dinner for myself and Spencer. It was fun. We went to a Nomihiodai. A Nomihiodai is a type of restaurant where you pay a set amount of money and then you get a certain amount of time to eat and drink (alcohol) to your hearts content. It was pretty fun. I really like my coworkers. I can relate to them much better than I did to the Korean women at my last job. They were much older in Korean, where as I have more in common with my coworkers now. Hopefully, we'll have fun at work.

On another note, I'd like to thank Spencer for showing me the ropes my first week. I'm sad to see him leave as he's really cool. He's also a really good teacher and I learned a lot from him this week. So Thanks Spencer!

And finally...I'm looking at you Mr. Bento box (pre made lunch boxes). If you though fast food was convenient, think again! Ronald McDonald, The King, The Colonel and Mr. Box have nothing on you Mr. Bento box. In a land where convenient stores are at every corner and every convenient store contains dozens of Bento boxes for super cheap...Mr. Bento box...you've become my best friend and my worst enemy. I know I'm not making any sense...but believe me, it's not me! It's the Bento box.

Okay, back to my senses, I'm gonna go check out Japan. I'll report back to you on any craziness I happen to stumble upon.

No comments:

Post a Comment