Sunday, July 31, 2011

Oddness at work

Yesterday was quite an interesting day.

You see, at work, we have these special days called "working days". During working days, we don't have our usual classes. Instead, we have private lessons, supplemental lessons, or make-up lessons. So instead of having the usual 7 or 8 classes per day, I had about 3 or 4 classes every day this week. Now, what made yesterday so unusual was the arrival of a certain unwanted guest. My manager was absent yesterday. She had a wedding to attend to, much to the disappointment of myself and my coworkers. My manager is really great. She's understanding and kind, but most of all, she's good at her job. So yesterday, the district manager took over my manager's job for the day. This was our unwanted guest.

Why was she unwanted, you ask? Well, to me, it's the utter fear that she instilled unto all of the Japanese teachers that work at my school. Seriously, yesterday felt like I was stuck inside a prison. Usually, at work, things are really relaxed. We work hard but still have a chance to talk. But yesterday, all of the teacher's were scared shit less of the district manager. It was really weird. Everyone was really uptight. The district manager is really evil and picky about the most little things. For example. she DEMANDS that all cabinet doors be closed at all times. Why? I have no clue but the Japanese teachers would literally freak out if I forgot to close a door. And then, the district manager just seems like an evil person. The kind of person who's hobby is to make other people cry or who enjoys making people feel bad for doing something good. Anyways, the  point is that the environment at my school was nervous and anxious yesterday. I hated it. Felt like a prison. It felt like if I were to sneeze, the Japanese people flying kick me right between the eyes instantly.

I don't know. It's kind of an insight into Japanese business culture. I don't have much of a grasp on Japanese business culture but I know that the sheer presence of a higher manager around lower workers causes Godzilla-like mass panic. Bizarre.

No comments:

Post a Comment