I feel like the past couple of weeks have been slow. Not that there is anything wrong with that. Natalie and I have spent the last two weekends relaxing but we've sprinkled it with a little bit of socializing. It's been nice. A variety of things have happened ( or not happened, since they're not much to talk about) so I'll talk about them in no particular order.
We had the opportunity to go bowling last weekend with some colleages. That was pretty fun! It amazes me how inconsistent of a sport bowling is. One day, you'll be amazing and the next time...you're the G-man (gutter ball man). Either way, it's always fun. Plus, Japanese bowling alleys come equipped with cooler looking shoes than the bowling alleys in America. They are essentially bowling shoes disguised as pink and purple skateboard kicks.
Also, as previously mentioned, I was engaged in "Mortal Kombat" with a coin locker, with the coin locker emerging victorious.
I was also shown a Kit Kat collection (well, pictures of a Kit Kat collection on an iPhone) by a friend. That was quite fascinating. The variety of Kit Kats in Japan is mind boggling. Apparently, my friend has found over 150 different varieties of Kit Kats. Personally, I've only found 4 types: original, dark, strawberry chocolate, and green tea. Albeit, that's still more variety than in America. Apparently, Kit Kats have been seen to come in the following flavors; Mount Fuji Berries, Soy Sauce, Wasabi, Peach, and hundreds more. I've been looking around but they seem to be hidden treasures in Japan and are not at all readily available. Either way, it's inspired me and Natalie to start our own collection of food: Ramen. If Coin Lockers have been my Satan, Ramen has been the higher power that I've turned to in times of need.
We also had the pleasure of partaking in the ever present (in our lives) activity of singing loudly in a small room with other people. I know, I know...Karaoke has been redundant in my life, but quite frankly, who cares! It's freaking fun!
Another thing that has been fun lately has been biking. Bikes are the coolest thing ever. They're easy and they cover a lot of ground and they allow us to see things on a personal level (as opposed to seeing it through an unwashed car window). We've biked around Okayama and Kurashiki. It's been nice to discover all of the good restaurants that are around us.
Speaking of Restaurants, they have been one of the things that have surprised me as well. Besides great Japanese food, we've found some Thai restaurants, some Indian places, and now, two really good Italian restaurants (one of which being an authentic Neapolitan style pizza joint). Delicious, and so very near!
Otherwise, things have been routine. Life is moving quickly. The weeks have seemed to blur together and it feels like I've been in Japan for much longer than really have. Fortunately, there are so many things for us to look forward to. The first of which is a visit to the doctor's office. I believe it's been two years since I've had a check up. That's what happens when you're in America. You sometimes don't have insurance. Ah well. The second thing is the Sake Festival in Hiroshima. I'm excited to try some quality Sake and I'm excited to do it with Natalie and some other really cool people. I'm also excited to go to Hiroshima. I want to check out all of the peace memorials and I want to learn more about Hiroshima's tragic past. Third on the list is a trip to Osaka to see Cirque du Soleil's Kooza show. This one is going to be amazing. I really can't wait.
That's about it for the week. I've got a day off sprinkled into my 5 day work week and so we plan on taking a trip to the beach, weather permitting.
No comments:
Post a Comment