Sunday, August 21, 2011

Back from the past Miscellaneous

Random thoughts from Kyoto:

- Kyoto is freakishly humid. Natalie and I were drenched in sweat the whole week. Apparently, it's because Kyoto is surrounded on three sides by mountains and thus, the humidity can't escape. But who cares? It was hot!

- Must read or watch the Anime called One Piece. When one asks a Japanese what their favorite Anime is, the answer it almost consistently One Piece. It's also everywhere. You can find One Piece memorabilia in almost every convenient store and souvenir shop.

- I really want to buy Ninja shoes. I spotted people wearing Ninja shoes in Kyoto. They look awesome and comfortable. I also need to get the Samurai sword umbrella.

- I love how you can find green tea flavored anything in Kyoto. Seriously, they are obsessed with Green tea.

- We stayed at two really different and contrasting hostels in Kyoto. The first was huge, modern, and clean. The staff was super friendly and helpful. It was a perfect base of operations for our frantic pace of the first half of our vacation. The second hostel was really cool too. It was in an old Japanese house with Tatami mat rooms and they even supplied a Yucata for us to wear while in our rooms. Natalie and I had fun acting like ninjas and taking pictures. Both hostels were cool. Thanks!

- Yucatas are super comfy. I need to buy one just so I can sit at home with one. Plus, it makes you feel like a samurai.

- Conveyor belt sushi places continue to be awesome. We went to one called Musashi Kaiten Sushi (named after one of Japan's most famous swordsmen) in Kyoto. They are fun, cheap, and most importantly delicious.

- People in Kyoto are not as friendly as they are where we live. They just don't care as much, especially since there are so many foreigners in Kyoto. But still, compared to the average American city, Kyotites are super friendly.

- Wakata = it means "I got it/I get it".

No comments:

Post a Comment