Today, I got to experience first hand what Japanese perfectionism is all about. I feel like Japan approaches perfectionism like the Taliban approaches extreme religious views. That it to say, it's extreme. My hunch is that most Japanese people aren't that perfectionist but that the people at the top of the corporate world really care about appearing perfect. When I arrived at work today, my manager notified myself and the rest of the Japanese staff that our picture had failed to meet the standards of Japanese perfection. Instead of having our heads be one foot apart from one another, we needed to be about an inch or two from each other. Basically, we needed to be able to smell one another's breaths. My manager even showed me our old picture with a little graph drawn on it to show just exactly how our heads should be placed.
So, yeah, no big deal right? Well, this new photo shoot took us about 20 minutes to complete. Here were some of the reasons why we had to retake the same picture a million time:
- Our chins weren't in a straight line.
- Our bodies weren't even with the company logo (on the wall)
- Our hair was hiding one another's faces.
- Our bodies were incorrectly rotated
- Our smiles weren't big enough
- Our eyes were closed
- The front row wasn't aligned properly with the back row
And also, I don't want to pigeon hole every Japanese into being some kind of freakish robot. That couldn't be further from the truth. Their individuality often shines brightly but it just seems like Japan as a whole cares way more about these types of things than just about everywhere I've been (including Korea). But hey, I've hardly been anywhere, right?
No comments:
Post a Comment