Saturday, October 8, 2011

Bizarre Foods With Nikola Do: Episode 1

A couple of days ago, Natalie and I tried a very peculiar original Japanese culinary item called Natto. Needless to say, Natto is truly what I'd call bizarre. 

Technically, Natto is just fermented soybeans. It's supposedly healthy and is usually eaten at breakfast, along with some rice or even toast. It doesn't sound too crazy in it's description. Actually, to me, it just sounded like bean jam. Throw it on a piece of toast and you've got yourself a meal. So when my student recommended it to me, being in Japan and all, I had to try one of Japan's most curious items.

So, Natalie and I went to the store and purchased one of those bad boys. It cost us roughly 90 cents (not a good sign) and came in a three pack (also, not a good sign). It was too cheap and these was too much of it.

So, once again, what is Natto?

According to the internet, it's fermented soybeans and it comes in a package that looks like this:



Not too bad right? Just looks like a pack of beans with some soy sauce thrown in to spice things up. BUT (and there's always a but) it's when you open it up and eat it that things get interesting. So, what is Natto, according to me? It basically looks like beans but it's extremely slimy, like when you take a pizza right out of the oven, pick up a slice, and the cheese stretches endlessly combined with the nagging "I can't get it off" of a spider web. It's kind of like cheesy snot. It also emits a strong (and I do mean strong) chemical odor. It's kind of like if someone was trying to hide the smell of vomit with dollar store brand cleaning agents.

Fortunately, to me, Natto fared better in the taste department. It kind of just tastes like beans, but cold and with an odd chemical taste to it. After a generous application of salt, it was okay. I couldn't eat it much but combined with the right things like maybe rice or bread and cheese, I think I could do it. But yeah, many people, with good reason, hate Natto...especially Natalie. She defined it as the definition of disgusting.



A picture of Natto:

No comments:

Post a Comment