Tuesday, July 3, 2012

One Down, Fifty-Two to Go (And Possibly More)

After a fun weekend in Okayama where I finally saw Natalie after 10,080 dreadfully long days apart (whoops...I mean minutes), I'm sitting here trying to reflect upon how my first week teaching at my new school went. It was kind of a blur in all honesty. I taught 34 classes, which is quite a high number. 34 classes requires quite a bit of energy and to top it all off, 34 classes with all new students and in a new school requires an unusually high amount of energy. So, would you like the good news or the bad news first?

The good news is that out of the 34 classes that I taught, I feel that 32 of them went better than average to excellent. A 94% success rate is nothing to sneeze at considering that children are unpredictable time bombs ready to explode at any moment. One of my my classes that went badly was as expected. My school is located right in the middle of downtown Hiroshima and as a result, it's jam packed with filthy rich families lead by young mothers who have no idea how to raise a child and can probably only spell one word in English; S-P-O-I-L. Spoiled children are the bane of any teacher's life and my schedule is bursting at the seams with children who have mastered the art of getting spoiled. And I guess that's the bad news; I teach a lot of rich, spoiled brats. And spoiled brats always seem to have a high proportion of BUS cases. That is to say Bad Ugly Stupid children. I know it sounds mean but there actually are children with no redeeming qualities. I'm hoping that my classes continue to go as well as they have gone so far.

My manager has also been quite nice to me. That was unexpected considering the horror stories that I've heard about her. I guess my students have enjoyed my classes and none of them seem ready to quit. For someone who only cares about the numbers, retaining students is outright amazing to her. Cool Biz starts next week so that's going to be cool. Cool Biz is kind of a national program where companies are allowed to dress down in order to conserve energy. I really enjoy being able to wear a T-shirt instead of a ridiculous suit in middle of summer. I don't understand why we wear suits. I'm assuming that it's to retain an aura of professionalism but I don't think that it's particularly inviting for Children.

BAH. ENOUGH ABOUT WORK. MY LOVE IS MOVING TO HIROSHIMA AND IT'S GOING TO BE GLORIOUS. CAN'T WAIT TO SEE HER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!exclamation point attack!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment